- Also called an authorized insurer, this type of company has been authorized to sell insurance within the state of Utah.
- The license an admitted insurer receives from the Utah Insurance Department is called a Certificate of Authority.
- Also called an unauthorized insurer, this type of company has not received authorization by the state of Utah.
- A non-admitted insurer has not received a Certificate of Authority from the Utah Insurance Department.
- This type of insurer is allowed to sell insurance to a Utah customer—only if the customer needs insurance that is not obtainable from an admitted insurer; this insurance is known as surplus lines.